Guidelines on Managing Safety and Health in Post-Primary Schools
The 'Guidelines on Managing Safety and Health in Post-Primary Schools' is produced by a Steering Group of representatives from the Health and Safety Authority (HSA), the State Claims Agency (SCA), the Department of Education and Skills (DES), and the School Development Planning Initiative (SDPI).
The publication is intended as both a guidance document and a toolkit to assist schools in planning, organising and managing a safe and healthy school environment for staff, pupils and visitors.
The Guidelines aim to:
- Assist schools in planning, organising and managing safety and health effectively
- Help schools benchmark current policies and practices against current legislative requirements and best practice
- Help schools meet their legal obligation under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005
- Reduce the administrative burden on schools
- Assist schools in writing or updating their safety statements and risk assessments and facilitate school management and employees in implementing and reviewing best practice in safety and health.
The Guidelines consist of 2 Parts (including a CD containing an electronic version of the complete document):
If you have a specific query about the Guidelines please contact us:
Locall 1890 289 389
Community and Comprehensive Schools may also contact the Risk Management Unit of the State Claims Agency at 01-6640900
The Guidelines do not place any additional responsibility on schools that does not already exist in legislation. A copy of this publication has been delivered to all post primary schools.