Objectives of emergency plans
- containing and controlling incidents so as to minimise the effects, and to limit damage to persons, the environment and property
- implementing the measures necessary to protect persons and the environment from the effects of major accidents
- communicating the necessary information to the public and to the services or authorities concerned in the area
- providing for the restoration and clean-up of the environment following a major accident
There are 2 types of emergency plan:
Internal Emergency Plan
External Emergency Plan
For Upper-tier establishments, there is also a requirement to provide information to the public on what to do in an emergency.
Testing and review of Emergency Plans
Emergency plans must be:
- reviewed and, where necessary, revised and updated, and
as often as the circumstances require, but at least every 3 years.