- Legionnaires' disease.
- Exposure to contaminated water from spray nozzles.
- Handling raw meat.
- Contact with infectious patients if delivering food.
- Skin damage.
- Respiratory sensitisation.
- Exposure to chemicals such as detergents, caustic or oven cleaners, soaps, chlorine based products and other cleaning agents.
- Exposure to flour enzymes or dust, or other powdered ingredients such as egg powder, spices or seasonings.
- Incompatibility of chemicals.
- Faulty equipment.
- Overloading of sockets.
- Unsafe work practices.
- Ingress of water into equipment.
- Pain in back, hands or arms.
- Lifting, reaching or performing repetitive motions or tasks e.g. reaching into deep sinks, chopping, washing dishes or stirring.
- Poorly designed equipment or workstations.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Smoke inhalation.
- Poor housekeeping.
- Overloaded or badly maintained electrics.
- Improper storage of flammable materials.
- Build up of grease on equipment.
- Burning grease or fat.
- Flare ups in cooking appliances.
- Unattended deep fat fryers.
- High temperatures and humidity.
Hot Surfaces / Hot Products / Steam
- Contact with hot surfaces, hot equipment, cooking appliances, utensils or boiling water.
Machines and Equipment
(such as dishwashers, fryers, ovens, mixers, lifts and dumb waiters etc.)
- Electric Shock.
- Crush injuries.
- Failure to maintain or service equipment.
- Lack of or overriding interlocks e.g on dumb waiters.
- Unguarded machinery such as rotating blades on mixers.
- Poor electrical connections.
- Electric equipment not suited to the environment e.g. not catering quality or equipment not suitable for wet area.
- Inadequate or lack of PPE especially when handling hot items.
- Lifting heavy items such as oil drums or bags of flour.
- Moving heavy food carts.
- Pushing wheeled racks.
- Poorly maintained or badly designed carts.
- Pouring heavy liquids out of heavy pots or containers.
Natural Gas and LPG
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Inadequate maintenance of equipment.
- Incompatible equipment.
Non Ionising Radiation
- Exposure to microwave radiation and heat through use of microwave ovens and heat sealers.
- Poor maintenance of equipment.
- Overriding interlock systems.
- Collapse of racking.
- Falling items or objects.
- Climbing up racking due to lack of proper access equipment.
- Exceeding the Safe Working Load (SWL) of the racking.
- Damaged racking.
- Inappropriate method of storage e.g. failing to store heavy items at lower levels.
- Broken glass or crockery.
- Inappropriate storage or use of sharp knives.
- Poor equipment design.
Slips, Trips and Falls
- Minor injuries such as cuts to major injuries such as broken bones, concussion and even death.
- Wet or contaminated floors.
- Spills e.g. oil.
- Poor housekeeping.
- Material stored on walkways.
- Ice build up in walk in freezers.
Walk in Fridges or Freezers
- Lock in due to lack of operational internal opening mechanism.
- Lack of internal alarm.
- Ice build up.
- Contact with liquid ingredients such as oils.
- Cleaning, washing up, food preparation.
Work at Height
- Fall resulting in physical injury.
- Unsuitable access equipment.
- Improper use of equipment.
For further information on related controls click here.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list of hazards and risks.