- Tetanus from soil.
- Leptospirosis (Weils' disease) from contaminated water.
- Legionnaires' disease from contaminated water aerosols in fountains.
- Accidental exposure to needles when picking litter.
- Exposure to pesticides such as weed killers, pest control products or other hazardous chemicals.
- Heat stress.
- Sun burn.
- Working in inclement weather e.g. freezing conditions, rain etc.
- Working in sunny weather without sun protection.
- Pain in neck, back or arms.
- Musculoskeletal disorders such as carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Over reaching or bending at the waist e.g. whilst digging.
- Repetitive motions often in combination with force e.g. use of tools such as secateurs, loppers or pruning equipment.
- Electric shock.
- Use of electrical equipment in wet environment.
- Equipment not suitable for outdoor use.
- Failure to use or test Residual Current Device (RCD).
- Faulty electrics or insulation.
- Taped cables.
- Eye damage.
- Inhalation of fumes.
- Being hit by flying debris when mowing the lawn.
- Contact with mower blades.
- Exposure to petrol fumes when refuelling the lawn mower.
- Exposure of petrol to ignition source.
- Over riding interlocks on equipment e.g. waste compactors.
- Lack of equipment maintenance.
- Smoke inhalation.
- External fire escape doors and fire escape routes blocked.
- Musculoskeletal disorders.
- Lifting too heavy items.
- Over reaching or stretching.
- Lack of or failure to use mechanical aids e.g. wheel barrows, hand trucks etc.
- Failure to maintain manual handling aids.
- Hearing damage or loss.
- Noisy equipment such as hedge trimmers and mowers.
Slips, Trips and Falls
- Minor injuries such as cuts to major injuries such as broken bones, concussion and even death.
- Uneven surfaces and pavements.
- Unmarked edges on steps and ramps.
- Inadequate lighting of surfaces and access routes.
- Slippery surfaces e.g. surfaces covered with water, ice, snow, leaves or moss.
- Obstructions on pavements.
- Unsuitable footwear.
- No traffic management system in place.
- No segregation of people and vehicles.
- Lack of directional signage or clear parking areas for visitors.
Working at Height
- Fall resulting in physical injury.
- Lack of or inappropriate access equipment.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list of hazards and risks.