Autoclaves are pressure equipment and are specifically covered by Part 10 of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 to 2018 (commonly known as the Pressure Systems Regulations).
These Regulations require inter alia that:
- Where appropriate, maintenance files are maintained and kept up to date;
- Employees have at their disposal adequate information and where appropriate written instructions concerning:
- conditions of use;
- safe operation;
- foreseeable abnormal conditions;
- action to be taken in the event of an emergency; and
- conclusions to be drawn from experience in using such equipment, where appropriate.
- Autoclaves are examined by a competent person within a period of 26 months. Self generating autoclaves must be examined within a period of 14 months. (Note: examination is not the same as maintenance).
- Reports of examination are kept for inspection by an inspector at the place of work where the pressure vessel is permanently located.
Submission completed, thank you!