Factors in Slips, Trips and Falls on the Same Level
Factors in workplace slips, trips and falls include, but are not limited to ..
- Slips trigger about half of all slips, trips and falls. However, slips trigger over 80% of STF involving Slippery Wet Surfaces or Ice or Cleaning.
- Stairs and steps are commonly associated with slips, trips and falls. Descending is a particular concern and can result in more serious injuries.
- Slippery Wet surfaces cause slips. Many victims are female. Cleaning is associated with wet floor slips. Over-use of signs is an issue. Footwear can play a significant role.
- Vehicles include trucks, vans and trailers. Vehicles outside the transport sector are very significant. Exiting vehicles can be particularly hazardous.
- Ice (and snow) can double the number of slips, trips and falls. Most incidents involve slipping on ice. Many accidents happened from 6am to 11am.
- Floor cleaning mainly causes slips. Most victims were not cleaners and most were females. Signs were present and did not prevent many cleaning slips.
- Entrances, exits are often implicated in slips, trips and falls from 8am to 10am. Step(s), wet surfaces, ice/(snow), mats and flooring are implicated.