The European Communities (Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment) Regulations 2011 to 2018 apply to the transport of dangerous goods by road in tanks, in bulk and in packages. This includes the packing, loading, filling and unloading of the dangerous goods in relation to their carriage. They apply the provisions contained in the technical Annexes to the "European Agreement Concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road" (ADR).
The Regulations and the ADR place duties on the various participants associated with the transport by road of dangerous goods. They contain requirements for the vehicles, tanks, tank containers, receptacles and packages containing the dangerous goods during their transport. They require that the drivers and others, involved in the transport by road of the dangerous goods (including their packing/loading/filling/transport/unloading) be adequately trained and, in the case of drivers, hold a certificate of such training. The Regulations also contain provisions on an EU harmonised approach to the road checks aspect of their enforcement.
Note that an administrative consolidation of all of the regulations listed above is now available. The consolidated version of the regulations has been prepared by the Health and Safety Authority for ease of reference only and is not a legal document.
Download the Legislation
Full legislation is available on IrishStatuteBook.ie, the website of the Office of the Attorney General. Note the year and number of the relevant Act or S.I. before clicking on the link.
ADR Competent Authorities
- Road Safety Authority (RSA) for technical examination of vehicles and issuing of certificates of approval
- National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) for the testing of receptacles and tanks
- Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) for accreditation of inspection bodies
- Minister for Justice and Equality for all matters relating to the carriage by road of explosives of ADR Class 1
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for all matters relating to the carriage by road of radioactive materials of ADR Class 7
- National Roads Authority (NRA), or 'Transport Infrastructure Ireland', for matters relating to the classification of tunnels as required
- Health and Safety Authority (HSA) for all other functions required to be performed by a competent authority under the Regulations