The sampling and analysis of materials suspected to containing asbestos must only be undertaken by a competent person or company. See information on asbestos surveyors below.
Types of Asbestos Surveys
There are two types of asbestos surveys:
- A management asbestos survey (MAS).
- A refurbishment/demolition asbestos survey (RDAS).
The purpose of the management asbestos survey is to manage asbestos-containing materials during the normal occupation and use of premises.
A refurbishment/demolition asbestos survey (RDAS) is required where the premises, or part of it, needs upgrading, refurbishment or demolition.
An Asbestos Surveyor carries out asbestos surveys. This can be a Management Asbestos Survey (MAS) or a Refurbishment Demolition Asbestos Survey (RDAS). Asbestos surveys consist of building inspection, sampling of suspect materials, laboratory analysis and provision of a survey report.
A Surveyor must be competent:
- Surveyor Qualifications e.g. BOHS P402, RSPH Award in Asbestos Surveying
- Thorough knowledge of relevant Irish legislation
- Access to Laboratory equipment for analysis work and which performs satisfactorily in AIMS Scheme (see below) , Laboratory Analysts should be qualified to BOHS P401 or RSPH Award in Asbestos Bulk Analysis
- Maintains quality assurance and control procedures that conform with internationally recognised standards for asbestos analytical and inspection activities.
Please refer to Section 8 of the HSA Guidance Document.
A person is deemed to be a competent person where, having regard to the task he or she is required to perform and taking account of the size or hazards (or both of them) of the undertaking or establishment in which he or she undertakes work, the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken.
Organizations providing training to Asbestos Consultants
The AtaC (Asbestos Testing and Consultancy Association) and BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society) both offer professional courses leading to awards in:
- Asbestos surveying (inspection, sampling, bulk analysis)
- Asbestos air monitoring and clearance (air sampling, fibre counting and 4 stage clearances).
Submission completed, thank you!