As diving can be both physically and mentally demanding, no person can be employed as a diver or is permitted to dive in any diving operation unless they have a valid certificate of medical fitness.
- The certificate may only be issued after a medical examination by a medical examiner of divers (an approved doctor).
- Fitness to dive medicals must be completed at least annually or more frequently if specified by the medical examiner of divers.
- For further information see the Guidance on the Medical Assessment of Divers.
Mutual Recognition Agreement
The Authority and the Health and Safety Executive (United Kingdom) have a mutual recognition agreement of doctors approved to carry out diving medical examinations and diving medical testing.
- This means that doctors approved under Irish regulations to carry out diving medical examinations will automatically be recognised in the United Kingdom (UK) and vice versa.
- Any medical certificates issued by doctors approved under the UK regulations to carry out diving medical examinations will automatically be recognised under Irish regulations for divers intending to work in the Irish sector and vice versa for the UK sector.
- Approved doctors for carrying out medicals on divers at work in Ireland.