Injuries and Ill Health
Check non-fatal accident statistics for the sector.
International data shows that the main types of non - fatal injuries suffered by fishermen are:
- Cuts and Puncture Wounds.
- Sprains and Strains.
The main body parts affected are the fingers, hands, wrists, chest and abdomen.
- Infections of the hand and fingers are common due to injury by fish spines and bones, broken ends of warps and knife cuts. Bacteria carried in fish slime and guts and pieces of metal can enter the wounds.
- Noise induced hearing loss can occur as commercial fishing is noisy most of the time, so there is no time for ears to rest.
- Exposure to Ultra Violet (UV) light even on cloudy days can result in sunburn and can potentially cause skin cancer.
- Allergic reactions to some fish can cause asthma, dermatitis or conjunctivitis.
Submission completed, thank you!