All boat users should tell a responsible person ashore (i.e. your emergency contact):
- Where your craft is going.
- When it is leaving.
- From what port or slip.
- The time you are due back.
- Where you are due back to.
- Who is onboard.
- What safety and communications equipment is carried.
- What the craft looks like.
- Its name / call - sign.
- What action to take when the estimated time of arrival back passes.
The emergency contact ashore must take on this duty vigilantly and contact the Coast Guard immediately once they become concerned. The earlier the Coast Guard is contacted the greater the chance of survival.
The Coast Guard can be contacted by diialling 999 or 112 and asking for the Coast Guard.