Safe Pass - Frequently Asked Questions

What is Safe Pass?

Safe Pass is a one day safety awareness programme aimed at construction workers.  The aims of the programme are to raise the standard of safety awareness in the construction industry and that all construction workers after completing the one day awareness programme can make a positive contribution to the prevention of accidents and ill health while working on the site.

The Safe Pass programme is operated and managed by Solas.

SafePass is a general awareness programme and does not negate the duty of the employer under the Act in regards to the provision of information, instruction and training to enable the person to carry out their work safely.

Who needs to do Safe Pass awareness training?

Under the Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013  Safe Pass / Safety Awareness Programmes only applies to -

(a) Craft and general construction workers,

(b) Persons undertaking on-site security work, and

(c) Persons or classes of persons as may be prescribed by the Minister.

The Health and Safety Authority in conjunction with the Construction Advisory Committee have produced a summary guide of the categories of persons to whom Safe Pass does and does not apply.

Summary checklist for Safe Pass

Category of personnel involved in Construction ProjectsIs Safe Pass or equivalent mandatoryCategory of personnel involved in Construction ProjectsIs Safe Pass or  equivalent mandatory
Craft WorkersYesProject Managers/Site Agents not involved in construction activitiesNo
ApprenticesYesSite Managers not involved in construction activitiesNo
General Construction WorkersYesSafety Advisor's or Safety Officers not involved in construction workNo
Working ChargehandsYes  
On-site Security WorkersYesPSDP/PSCSNo
Contractors Drivers On-siteYesInspectors/ConsultantsNo
Delivery Drivers On-site e.g. concrete trucksYesClients & Client RepsNo
Students on Placement  on siteYes  
Delivery Drivers Not On-site e.g. delivering to compounds, canteens,officesNoSupervised VisitorsNo
Canteen StaffNoArchaeologistsNo (see below)
Site Office StaffNoSales RepresentativesNo
Architects, Surveyors, EngineersNoVisitors to Show HousesNo


back to top

Are archaeologists required to have a Safe Pass?

Strictly speaking, archaeologists are not construction workers and, as such, are not required by the Construction Regulations to have a Safe Pass. However, given that much of the work they do is in a construction type environment, it is appropriate that the employer assess the work to be undertaken on a site-specific basis. If an objective assessment shows that employees having "safe pass" would help the employer comply with his/her general duties regarding training (in accordance with Section 8 of the 2005 Safety Health & Welfare at Work Act) then the employer should give strong consideration to having workers obtain safe pass.

It should be noted that the regulations relate to minimum requirements and a Client, PSCS or a Contractor may require that all personnel entering their construction site have Safe Pass.

Where Safe Pass is not specifically required, employers should note that there is a General Duty on Employers under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 for the provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety and health at work of his employees.

The Safe Pass Programme is aimed at all construction site personnel, including new entrants, to ensure that they have a basic awareness of health and safety.

back to top

Why do I need Safe Pass?

The Safe Pass Programme is necessary to make workers aware of the dangers on construction sites so that they will not be a danger to themselves or their co-workers. 

back to top

Who pays for the Safe Pass course

Generally the employer pays for the Safe Pass course.  The  employer under section 10,25 & 26 of Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act, 2005 is responsible to allow employees time off from their duties for awareness training as may be reasonable having regard to their health and safety without loss of remuneration.

back to top

Where can I find Safe Pass trainers?

A list of Safe Pass trainers is available from the Safe Pass Programme, SOLAS, Tel: 01 5332500.

back to top

When do I need to renew my Safe Pass training?

Safe Pass awareness training should be renewed every 4 years.

back to top

Do students and seasonal workers need Safe Pass before working on a Construction site?  If so who should pay?

Yes the Safe Pass Programme is aimed at all who work on a construction site, including new entrants.  If a student wants to apply for a job on a construction site for seasonal work they must have the Safe Pass Card.  In this instance they would have to pay for it themselves before they are employed.

back to top

Can new workers work on site to build up the 6 months experience required for FAS CSCS entry?

New entrants to SOLAS CSCS must complete an initial training programme and are given a log book and New Entrant Card which is red in colour. New entrants must complete a minimum of 6 months training under supervision and maintain a logbook (detailing experience) before completing a final assessment for their CSCS card.

back to top

I need more information on Safe Pass, where can I get it?

More information can be obtained from SOLAS on 01 5332500 or at

back to top