Working On or Near a Road
Many jobs involve working on or near a road such as:
- Service Engineers
- Emergency Service Workers (e.g. fire brigade, ambulance personnel)
- Enforcement Bodies (e.g. An Garda Síochána, HSA, Customs and Excise)
- Local Authority Staff (e.g. school wardens, refuse collectors)
- Vehicle Recovery Staff
- Construction Personnel
- Utilities installations and repair staff
In the period 2003 – 2008:
- 9 people were killed whilst working on or near a road.
- A third of these deaths involved a reversing vehicle.
- All fatalities involved men.
- The main work activities being carried out at the time were refuse collection, road resurfacing, cone laying/retrieval and accident scene attendance.
- Examples of best practice for safety of those working at road work zones. PRAISE Thematic Report 6: Road Safety at Work Zones